What are you best at?

Monday, April 18, 2016

While I was at yoga today, I was having trouble stretching into a certain position, and I thought how everyone around me was probably having no problems getting into position.

While I was thinking about how much I suck at yoga, I realized there are probably a few stretches that I may be better at that than some of the people in the class. It all depends on perspective.

I guess yoga made me reflective, because then I thought about how our society is driven by competition. Who can earn the most money? Who has the fanciest car? Who has the nicest clothes? Who's the most attractive?

We're constantly comparing ourselves to others without realizing our own potential for other things. I may not be the best yogi, but I may be the best at other things.

I'm the best daughter to my mother, I'm the best sibling to my brothers and sister. I'm the best aunt to my nieces and nephew. I'm the best girlfriend to my boyfriend. I'm the best at all those things, simply because of who I am.

I think when we are constantly comparing ourselves to other people, we forget about the details of our own lives, and the specifics, the relationships we have with other people that shape the lives of those around us.

I may not be good at some things, but I know I'm the best at being me.

So the next time you're struggling to do the splits during yoga class, or the next time you're comparing your career to your friends, focus on that the things that make you you. 

Also, even though this sounds like a sappy inspirational speech, I think it's something important we need to remember; and I think it's often forgotten in day-to-day life when we're constantly comparing ourselves to other people.

No one else can do the things I do, make the choices I make; and I think that's pretty special.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi. this was really nice to read as lately I've been comparing my success to that of others. This world is definitely about competition and it does get overwhelming but we should give ourselves more credit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I liked writing it! :) Competition definitely does get overwhelming day in and day out, and giving ourselves credit is something that has to happen in order for us to be happy.

      Delete

Instagram