Book Review: Three Dark Crowns

Monday, October 03, 2016



Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake was the book sent out in the September Owlcrate box, and as soon as I read the description I was intrigued.

It's YA Fantasy, which is probably my favorite type of book to read, and the concept is this: There are triplet sisters, who each are equal heirs to the crown of this island that is full of different kinds of magic. One sister, Mirabella, is an elemental, and her powers range from controlling storms to summoning fire. Arsinoe is a naturalist, and they are known for being able to communicate with animals and grow flowers and plants. Katherine is a poisoner, known to withstand any poison without even a stomachache. When the sisters turn 16, one must claim the crown above the others by murdering her two other sisters.

The concept immediately gripped me, and I really enjoyed the flow of the story and the way we got to know the different characters and their worlds. One of my favorite things is that there seems to be a 'mainland' in the book that is pretty much exactly like our world and when the mainlanders interact with the magic of the island, it's funny to see the confusion.

I've seen some people say the beginning of the book was slow, and that was true, but I think it was necessary and I didn't hate it. Also, the twist at the end is what made a lot of people love this book. I'm usually pretty good at guessing twists and knowing what will happen, but I did not see this coming. It honestly changes your whole perspective, and that's all I'll say.

Another favorite part of this book for me was that while there was romance, it wasn't too overpowering. The focus of the book was on the sisters and how each of them had evolved and their ties to their powers and families.

I've been recommending this book non-stop to anyone who will listen, and the ending was what really made me decide how good this book was. So if you are hesitating to read it or if you are in the middle of the book and feeling like it's a little slow, just hang on, it will be worth it!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram