The future is(n't) scary

Friday, July 24, 2015

Like most people, I am sometimes scared of the future. Especially now that I am out of school, where I think the structure of your future is more defined...you know what you have to do in school; do your homework, go to class and study for your tests. Suddenly you graduate, and you're basically thrown on your ass.

I was lucky enough to get a job before I technically graduated. I know that makes me fortunate, as I still have friends that haven't found anything. I guess that part of my future is more stable, but it makes it no less terrifying.

I'm a fan of organization and planning. Most of the time, I want to know what the schedule is for the day and I'm a huge fan of planners and to-do lists.

We're told a million times in school that the real world is different, the real world is harder. And hey, guess what? It is. That part was not exaggerated.

There's certain things that I have to do now that I can't believe I'm doing. I still feel like I'm 16 years old, and I have to open an IRA? My brain can't comprehend this.

Recently, I've been trying to develop a timeline of sorts. I want to go to grad school...how long will that take me to finish? How long will I stay at this job? Do I want to get a new job after grad school? What about engagements, marriage, a family??!?

Yes, those questions don't have to be answered right now, but the fact is that someday they will have to be answered, and that's very intimidating to me.

If you're as freaked out as I am, maybe I can give you a little comfort. Life only happens one day at a time. We've all heard the phrase, live life one day at a time, and I think it's pretty accurate.

Things like pregnancy or planning a wedding are more long-term things, but they're still only planned one day at a time. Everything is. There's something comforting about that. Something could happen tomorrow that could completely change your life and you have to adapt. The only thing you can really plan for is today.

photo credit

With that said, I need to go finish the rest of my work for today and take my car for an oil change (adulthood things!!!) because it really needs it today. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram