Re: Why I'm Proud to be a Job-Hopping Millennial

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Every once in a while you read something that really resonates with you, and that happened to me the other week with Emily Rodgers' post about job-hopping millennials.

I've touched on this topic a few times myself, and have talked about how I need to take time to make my own decisions and not feel like I constantly have to be moving to the next best thing. And it's a struggle for me! While I haven't had 7 jobs in 3 years, I've switched and tried jobs more often than others my age.

I actually am in the middle of switching jobs right now, so it seemed like a pretty perfect time for this post.

Basically in her post, Emily talks about passion for her work, why she has left jobs and why that's okay. The first time the post really caught my attention was when she wrote this,

If I ever lose passion, or motivation behind a job, or if I stop caring, I’ll question it. And if those questions only have negative answers, I’ll start to look for a change. 
After reading this, I immediately just thought, yes. There have been many times while I've been at a job, unhappy with certain things or unhappy with the company, and I've started to look for other opportunities. I do think this had to do with the fact that I'm part of the millennial generation, and I have that need for instant gratification. When I'm unhappy, I immediately start looking for ways to fix it, and sometimes that has meant finding something new. Now, I'm not saying if you have a bad day at work, find a new job. But if you're deeply unhappy and questioning your career, then get out of there. 

And like Emily, I know many, many people who suffer through a job because they think they need it, or they're scared to find or try something new. I know sometimes we have to accept positions we may not want, but hopefully it's just a temporary thing and not a long-term decision. You should never feel suffocated because of your work life. 
I may be none the wiser, but at least I’m trying to figure it out instead of staying hidden behind a good salary and a free gym membership. I’m exploring what I like and don’t like, and I’m happy to take a pay cut if it means my mental health is in check and I’m staying true to my principles.
Money is a big fear for most millennials. We know how expensive it is to move out of our parent's homes and just to be able to afford a lifestyle we may want. So yes, it can be terrifying to switch jobs, if you're worried about money. But eventually, you will have to weigh your own happiness and decide what the is worth to you monetarily. If you have a job that pays 70K and you're absolutely miserable, it may be worth it to take a pay cut (even a large one!) to find your happiness. 

Mostly when I read Emily's article, I felt a sense of kinship. My thoughts about jobs and success can be convoluted and complex (which you may be able to tell from my writing above). And when I read Emily's post, I was so happy that there was someone out there who felt the same way I did.

So to all the millennials (or anyone else) out there who may feel like me, don't worry so much if you're switching jobs. The only one who has to worry about your own worth is you. If your friends have been at the same job for five years, that's great. That means they have found something they are happy with. But if you're still searching, or still exploring your skills and what you want to do, then job-hop away. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram