Top 5 Underrated YA Fantasy Series

Friday, February 17, 2017

You all probably know by now that I read a lot of books, mostly of the Young Adult variety. And beyond that, probably YA fantasy are my specific favorites. Now when most people think of Young Adult books, they probably think of John Green or Twilight or Harry Potter. But there's so much more out there (yes, even beyond Harry Potter). Fans who read a little more YA fantasy might know Sarah J. Maas or Marissa Meyer, but there's still even more beyond those writers!

So since I get asked a lot for recommendations, I'd figure I would give you some recommendations for what I know best: YA Fantasy! So here are the top five underrated YA Fantasy series, in no particular order.

1. Falling Kingdoms series by Morgan Rhodes
I'm not a huge fan of this series, but I'll admit that it's pretty engrossing. The books take place in a land called Mytica. It has a Game of Thrones type feel, because there is so many characters and a lot of different kingdoms. There are a few main characters that all go on different journeys in different lands. A war breaks out in this world, and magic, murder and betrayals are all featured in this novel. Seriously, I wouldn't get attached to any of the characters, because they'll probably die.
This series would be good for fans of The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, it's got the same violence and also the romance is pretty similar for both series.
Titles in this series: Falling Kingdoms, Rebel Spring, Gathering Darkness, Frozen Tides, Crystal Storm, and Immortal Reign (coming out this year, I believe it's the last book).

2. The Bone Season series by Samantha Shannon
I remember picking up the first book a few years ago and being really amazed because the author is the same age as me. This series is supposed to have seven books, and only two have been released. This series takes place in a world where they are different types of clairvoyants, and the main character, Paige, is a Dreamwalker. There's also an otherworldly that controls some of the clairvoyants, and Paige gets captured by them. Clairvoyants are considered criminals by the majority of the rest of the population. One of the reasons I really liked this book is because of the world-building. I have some problems with the romance that takes place, but ultimately I really liked a lot of the secondary characters and would like to see which way this series goes. I would recommend this series to those who are fans of Marie Lu. The darkness in the worlds reminds me of Lu's Legend series.
Titles in this series (so far): The Bone Season, The Mime Order, and The Song Rising (releasing this year).

3. The Falconer series by Elizabeth May
First, let me share the love I have for this author. I follow her on Twitter and she is GOALS. I don't even remember how I first found her series, but I read it late last year, and enjoyed it. Her work definitely doesn't get enough credit, and it's better than a lot of the more 'popular' YA books out there.
These novels take place in Edinburgh in the 19th century. The main character Aileana is part of the aristocracy, but also hunts fae. Here is obviously where the fantasy part comes in; fae are a part of this world and Aileana just so happens to be part of a line of female warriors that train to kill fae. IT has lots of twists and turns, but I enjoyed the history that was shown. I'm pretty certain the author has a background in anthropology, so I felt that the history was pretty accurate.
I feel like those who enjoyed Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series would like this because 1. Fae (even if they are a bit different between the two novels) and 2. A pretty take-charge female protagonist.
Titles in this series: The Falconer, The Vanishing Throne, and The Fallen Kingdom (The last book is coming out later this year!)

4. Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab 
This series and author are already pretty well-known, but her writing is so good, she should be even more popular! This series is trilogy and takes place in a world where there are alternate Londons: White London, Black London, Grey London and Red London. One of the main characters, Lila, is from Grey London, which is a lot like our world. And the other main character, Kell, is from Red London, where magic is a huge part of the society. Kell is one of two people who can travel between worlds, and so he serves as sort of ambassador for the royalty of Red London. Black London was destroyed most likely by some sort of magical catastrophe; and White London is where society revolves completely around magic, and who controls it. The story follows Lila and Kell, who eventually meet (no more spoilers than that!) and go on an adventure that shows them some mysteries of the worlds they live in. I won't say any more, but I really enjoyed the sequel and also continue to love V.E. Schwab's writing.
I would recommend this series for fans of Maureen Johnson's, The Name of the Star series (they do both take place in London, ha!). The series share a sense of mystery, magic and intrigue that readers will enjoy.
Titles in this series: A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows, and A Conjuring of Light (coming out in just a few days!)

5. Snow Like Ashes series by Sara Raasch
This series is already fairly popular, but I am surprised that even more people don't read it. I really enjoyed the world in this book, as well as the main character, Meira. In this world, there are several kingdoms, four of which are based around the seasons. Meira is Winterian, but the Kingdom of Winter was destroyed by the Kingdom of Spring when she was a baby. Basically, all of the Winterians are slaves for Spring, except for a few who escaped and have been on the run. Meira travels with a group of people, one of which is the King of Winter, who was saved (like Meira) when he was a baby. I won't say any more than that, but the conflict begins when the Winterians set out to find a locket that can help the King of Winter restore magic to the Kingdom. Each seasonal kingdom has its own magic, and Winter's was destroyed when it was.
It's honestly just a really cool world, and I really liked hearing about the other seasonal kingdoms. The series is a trilogy, but all books are released, so you can finish the whole series now! I would definitely recommend this for fans of the Queen of the Tearling series by Erika Johansen.
Titles in this series: Snow Like Ashes, Ice Like Fire, and Frost Like Night.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram